Maria Puronvarsi specialises in brand protection and enforcement.
Maria advises brand owners of all sizes in various questions related to trademark protection, filing strategies, trademark clearance searches, prosecution, global trademark portfolio management and global brand protection strategies. Maria handles opposition, cancellation and invalidation proceedings as well as trademark infringement and anti-counterfeiting cases. Maria has represented more than 200 global brand-owners in seizures of counterfeit goods in the Finnish customs.
During her career, Maria has successfully represented clients in many remarkable cases. Managing IP publication chose the latest case C‑772/18 handled by Maria and Jani Kaulo as the impact case of the year 2020 in Finland.
Maria’s main practice areas also include unfair competition, marketing law and fashion law issues. Maria lectures on trademark related matters as well.
Maria represents clients in trademark prosecution in the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) and the Finnish Patent and Registration Office as well as acts as a litigator in the Finnish and European Union courts representing clients in brand rights related cases.
Areas of Expertise
Trademarks, design rights, domain names, trade names, copyrights, anti-counterfeiting, contracts, unfair competition, marketing law, fashion law
- Kaulo & Partners, Licensed Legal Counsels, Ltd., Partner 2021-
- Kolster Ltd., IP Lawyer 2016-2021
Education and Training
- Licensed Legal Counsel 2021
- European trademark and design attorney 2018
- Authorized trademark attorney 2018
- Master of Science (Econ. and Bus. Adm.), Intellectual Property Law, Hanken School of Economics, 2017
- Master of Laws, University of Helsinki 2015
- Rising Star, Managing Intellectual Property 2022
- Rising Star, Managing Intellectual Property 2021
- Rising Star, Managing Intellectual Property 2020
- Rising Star, Managing Intellectual Property 2019
- Finnish Fashion Law Association, Member of the Board 2020-
- Fashion and luxury sector
- Consumer goods
- Food and beverages
- Media and entertainment
- Public services
- Health care
- Industrial equipment
- Communications and media
- Pharmaceuticals & medical products
- Utilities / cleantech
- Financial services
- Education export
IPR Sector Memberships
- Finnish association for industrial property rights
- Finnish Fashion Law Association
- Finnish Anti-Counterfeiting Group
- Association of Finnish Lawyers